Pleco is the ultimate Chinese learning companion - an integrated dictionary / document reader / flashcard system with fullscreen handwriting input and live OCR, from a company that's been making the world's best mobile Chinese learning apps since 2001.
Major features: ($ = paid add-on)
• Amazing dictionaries. We include two lovely free ones built-in: the popular open-source CC-CEDICT, with over 110,000 frequently-updated entries, and our own PLC dictionary, with 125,000 more detailed entries, parts of speech, and over 25,000 example sentences (with Pinyin). More than two dozen other dictionaries are available as free and paid ($) add-ons, including licensed titles from well-known publishers like Oxford, Longman, FLTRP, Tuttle, SLPH, and Commercial Press.
• Powerful merged search: look up words by Chinese characters, Pinyin (spaces / tones optional), or English, with support for wildcards and full-text search. And no need to tediously flip between all of those dictionaries to find a word - just type in your search term and instantly get a combined, frequency-sorted result list.
• Links and cross-references: easily look up character components, break down words into individual characters, look up lists of words containing a particular character, search across all dictionaries for example sentences containing a word, and even find synonyms / antonyms using our (experimental) free thesaurus add-on.
• Gorgeous typography: see it for yourself in our screenshots - we think we're one of the best-looking Chinese dictionaries around. Alternate Kai/Song/Xing-style Chinese fonts are also available ($).
• PRC/HK/Taiwan-friendly: every part of Pleco supports both traditional and simplified characters, headword pronunciations can be shown in Zhuyin as well as in Pinyin, and we even support Cantonese search and display in our PLC dictionary.
• Audio: Hear Mandarin and Cantonese pronunciations for words and example sentences using iOS' free built-in text-to-speech system. We also offer add-ons ($) with native-speaker Mandarin and Cantonese recordings, plus higher-quality Mandarin text-to-speech system options.
• Document Reader: bring in text from the clipboard and tap on words in it to instantly look them up. Upgrade ($) adds support for tap-lookups in text, HTML, DOC, DOCX, PDF, and EPUB files, and in embedded lyrics in songs and podcasts.
• OCR: look up words simply by pointing your device's camera at them, or by tapping on them in a still image. ($)
• Fullscreen handwriting: use your device's whole screen instead of just a little box. Extremely accurate and highly tolerant of stroke order mistakes. ($)
• Flashcards: create a card from any dictionary entry with a single button tap, import premade word lists, use advanced memorization techniques like SRS, and study in a variety of modes including fill-in-the-blanks handwriting and tone drills. ($)
• Stroke Order Diagrams: animations showing you how to draw each character; 500 characters for free, 28,000 in paid ($) version.
• User dictionaries: create new dictionary entries right on your device as you encounter new words. ($)
• Absolutely no ads.
We also offer famously excellent customer support and an active user community at http://www.plecoforums.com. And we're constantly working to make our products better; our sales and customer base have been growing for 15 years across 4 different mobile platforms. You can be confident that we'll still be fixing bugs and adding features for years to come.
Our paid add-ons can be transferred to other devices that link to your iTunes account just like any other paid iTunes content; simply install our free app, open up the "Add-ons" screen, and tap on the "Restore Purchases" button to activate your purchase on each device.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, via the form at http://www.pleco.com/contact.html, or using the in-app "Contact Support" command with any questions - we'll be delighted to hear from you.
3.2.28: • Minor but time-sensitive bug fixes.
Newish things to take a look at: • Paid e-books; the amazing "Chinese History: A New Manual" by Endymion Wilkinson (an essential guide for anyone interested in Chinese history) plus two new collections of graded readers. • New expanded Essentials Edition of the popular Outlier character dictionary. • Military Mandarin Lexicon, a great new dictionary of PRC military terminology • ABC Cantonese Dictionary • New Mandarin + Cantonese TTS voices • New free Source Han Serif Chinese font (Song-style), in Add-ons / Features. • "New Century English-Chinese Dictionary" in Add-ons, a brand new (published in 2016), comprehensive (240k entries), example-rich (130k examples) English-to-Chinese dictionary based on the Collins corpus. • Experimental Kai-style stroke order diagrams, free in Add-ons if you already own our stroke order add-on. • More generous stroke order demo if you don't own that add-on yet - download that demo in Add-ons (of the original or the experimental Kai diagrams) and you can now see stroke order for several hundred common characters in the main dictionary. • Our experimental OCR system update (coming officially in 4.0) - Settings / OCR / New OCR System - with a completely revamped motion detection system that should feel much less jittery than before.
Upcoming things: • Giant Pleco 4.0 update, 10 years in the making (and our primary focus for the past ~2 years), with a giant spectacular overhaul of our flashcard system + OCR and a bunch of other neat stuff. (release date TBD but we're getting closer and closer...)
Reviews: the App Store no longer resets our review average with every update (yay!), but if you haven't left us a review recently, we'd really appreciate it if you would - after this one, you hopefully shouldn't need to do it again for quite a while...